At Ultimate Dental Studio, located in Port Orange, FL, Dr. Jeffrey Kim gives his patients the necessary information to help them maintain a healthy oral regimen.
What is gum disease?
Gum disease is painful, so maintaining good oral hygiene is vital. Gum disease is when a bacteria attack your gums and causes inflammation.
You may experience a variety of issues as a result of gum disease:
- Gum recession
- Bone loss around your teeth
- Tooth loss
Causes of gum disease
Gum disease is related to poor oral hygiene. When a person neglects to take care of their teeth, the rest of their mouth suffers.
Here are a few things that may lead to gum disease:
- Choosing to eat unhealthy foods containing sugars that lead to plaque accumulation
- Chewing tobacco and smoking
- Skipping bi-annual doctor's appointments
Symptoms of gum disease
You may not know you have gum disease at an early stage if you're not visiting your dentist, here are a few symptoms:
- Receding gums
- Bleeding gums
- Bad breath
- Redness or swelling of the gums
- Periodontal abscess
- Loose teeth
Treatment of gum disease
There are a few treatment options your doctor may provide you with, here are some:
- Manually removing plaque by scaling, root planning or debridement.
- Periodontal surgery may be required depending on the severity of your gum disease
- Applying antimicrobial products to assist in the healing process of periodontal disease.
Your gums are just as important as any part of your dental/oral health. Improper care may lead to severe issues or diseases as mentioned above. If you have questions or concerns about gum disease or gum disease therapy, call Dr. Jeffrey Kim at Port Orange, FL.